Momblog contributed by Michelle, with her MiV Founder, Doula & Breastfeeding counsellor hats on
Are you a mother-to-be or new mother living in the Geneva>Lausanne corridor? Then make sure to check out one of the many support groups that exist in the area! Becoming a parent (either for the first or subsequent time) is a time when peer-support is crucial, even if you don’t feel you need it, and lining up family, friends and acquaintances and even professionals who have travelled this route before will be only beneficial down the line as your pregnancy progresses, baby makes an appearance and then grows up into a toddler, preschooler, and more!
As most “Moms-in-Vaud” who read this blog are those travelling this “road to parenthood” abroad and as an expatriate, “lining up family” is not something easy to do (and inviting them over to help in the early weeks of baby just adds bodies to take care of into an already hugely changed environment — the French word “bouleversé” is the best adjective — and such an invite, therefore, should be extended with the utmost care) and knowing which professionals to turn to is just as tricky. Finding friends and acquaintances, however, doesn’t have to be hard, if you know where to look. This blog post aims to point you in the right direction with a listing of English support groups for parents in the region. Our Yahoo!Group, of course, is also a support platform, so do join if you haven’t already.
- American International Women’s Club – BabyTalk on Tuesdays and Thursdays at the AIWC premises in Eaux Vives
- Bumps n Bubs Geneva – Website and online forum with regular meet ups listed under Events
- La Leche League Geneva English Group – Breastfeeding & Mothering Support Group once a month in Geneva
- Meet-up – Geneva Mums, Tots & Bubs – Meet ups for mothers with children 0-4
- International New Parents Geneva – Parenting Classes and get-togethers in Geneva
- PlayGroup Programme Ferney – Mother-to-Mother Group
- Group of English Speaking Mothers (GEMS) – Westlake Church Nyon on Tuesdays
- La Leche League Nyon English Group – Breastfeeding & Mothering Support Group (second Thursday of each month)
- Moms-in-Vaud & Expat Doula Switzerland – Bumps & Babies Support Group and Coffee Morning (last Friday of each month in Nyon)
- Moms-in-Vaud/Association Culture-Langue – Wednesday Playgroup (Divonne in Winters, Parks across the region Spring/Summer/Fall)
- Moms-in-Vaud Rolle/Etoy/Morges Bumps & Babies Support Group (second Friday of each month)
- Ribambelle English Playgroup
- La Leche League Lausanne English Group – English Breastfeeding & Mothering Support group, once a month in Lausanne or Pully
- M&M2B (mothers and mothers-to-be) Group – Meets every other week on a Tuesday morning at Starbucks St. Laurent.
There are many more, but this is just a start. Check the Know-it-All Passport to Geneva, Vaud and Neighboring France for additional listings or online listings on AngloINFO.
Also note that in addition to the above groups, you can also regularly meet mothers by signing up for activities such as Pre- or postnatal Yoga, Prenatal Pilates, Mubabil, Gymboree, Kindermusik, BebeNageurs, The Little Gym, Kiddie Club, Baby Gym, etc. Glocals.com and Internations.com also have parenting groups.
Looking for activities for OLDER children? Try the above resources, but also check out the Croque-Loisirs Bilingual Magazine.