Hi, my name is Michelle Walz and I am the founder of expatparent. I offer services to parents, parents-to-be, and new arrivals to Switzerland. I also lead workshops for perinatal professionals. From Consultations, to Workshops & Groups, to Online Support, the options are diverse. I also write blogs that cover topics relevant to expatriate parents (as the page name suggests!). Take a look through my pages, below at the blogs, or use the search to browse through old topics.
Today is the first day back to school for children in the Canton de Vaud and the Canton de Genève. Kids alone or kids accompanied by their parents or daycare providers are back on the roads and sidewalks en route to school. Schools across the two cantons have slightly different start times, lunchtimes and finish times, so expect to see kids on the roads anytime between 7:45-8:35 in the mornings, between 11:15-12:30 at lunch, again between 12:45-13:45 and then finally between 14:30-16:00 (plus or minus 15 minutes!).
The new rhythm of walking to school will take a few weeks to set in, so pay extra attention to your driving and to the crossing patrols and we’ll have a safe La Rentrée.
On Monday, public schools across Vaud open their doors to our children. Whether your kids are starting new or know all about school, there are feelings of joy, trepidation, and exhaustion ahead. So what can we do with our kids this last weekend before school starts?
- Samedi des Momes
- Brocante de Nyon
- Fete des Pirates
- Vide Grenier de Rolle
- Courses Hippiques in Divonne
- Cinema Open Air Nyon (two kids movies Sat & Sun nights)
- Festival Luna Classics in Nyon
- Regata in Rolle
- Feerie d’une Nuit, Signal de Bougy
- Tour du Canton de Geneve
- Manu Gelato Italiano – Grand Opening Free Gelato in Eaux Vives (GE)
It’s that time of year again, BACK TO SCHOOL! I posted the last few years with information on what parents need for their children who are just starting out in 1P/2P or 3P, this year I post the list for 4P!
So, here is the list of what children in Nyon generally need (this list changes a bit from school to school and district to district, but is mostly accurate for Vaud):
- Gym Bag with:
- Indoor unmarking gym shoes (paire de chaussures pour l’interieur)
- T-Shirt & Shorts ( tenue de gymnastique : t-shirt et short ou bas de training)
- Pool Bag with:
- Swimsuit (maillot de bain)
- Towel (linge)
- Bathing Cap (for kids with long hair) (bonnet de bain)
- School Bag with:
- A pen (for those who were given a pen at the end of 3P) (la plume)
- Pencil and eraser (un crayon gris et une gomme)
- Markers (stylos feutres)
- Glue Stick (stick de colle)
- Indoor Shoes (des pantoufles)
- Apron or Smock (un tablier)
The remaining supplies are offered by the school district. It is not mandatory to cover the agenda and other booklets that are provided, but it is advised.